Thursday, July 7, 2011

My dilemma

Everyday I am faced with a frustrating dilemma.

How much sleep does a person really need and does when a person sleep make a difference?

I have been working overnights for a little over 2 years now.  I am not complaining (very much) but summer is a tough season for me.  I am not one who has ever really liked the heat or the sun.  The last 2 summers have been especially hard because when the kids are home, mama don't get no sleep!

And I am so pleasant and fun to be around when I am tired!  

N O T !!!!!!!!!!!!

I work from 11:30 pm to 3:30 am.  Yes, only a 4 hour shift.  Currently I am working 5 - 6 nights a week.  So only a 20-24 hour work week.   So this is where my dilemma starts to be a problem.  I could sleep when I get home until the kids get up, that is a up to 4 hours some days.  But it is soooo hard to walk in the door and immediately go to bed and go to sleep.  Do you seriously know anyone who can do that?  Most days it is not even worth trying. 

When the kids are in school - yay!- I would sleep while they were gone all day.  It works pretty well.  But it is summer break.  They are home all day.  I don't like sleeping while they (read this as Ryan especially) are home and getting into trouble.  Makes me feel like I am neglecting my family.  And that makes me feel beyond guilty.

If I try to stay awake until David comes home I am usually grumpy, usually have gotten very little accomplished, and end up sleeping during the only time I get to see that hottie I married. 




So when do I sleep?  Any suggestions?


Today I will be grateful for what little sleep I get, whenever I can get it.

2 comments:

Andee said...

Well don't ask me because I had a "night" job for a while but I just quit! Too hard to figure out the sleep thing!

Mindy R said...

You should ask Steven. His doctoral project is about sleep. I've heard the best hours of sleep are from 10pm-12am which doesn't work with your schedule. Maybe it's time to look for a different job? I hate not getting enough sleep. I hope you can figure something out! Good luck!